Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Games and Gaming # 38

Well, I have to say attempting to play Pacman with the arrow keys is not very productive. Using the keys is very limiting. I thought my prior experience in playing the game would give me an advantage over players who have never played before, but I was wrong. I prefer using joysticks in order to have any speed and dexterity while playing the game.

Since acquiring the Wii unit, more of the younger patrons seem to come to the library. Wii is apparently outselling Xbox and PS3, according to internet sales figures. It seems to be the best choice for a library setting not only based on sells, but based on the way it draws the kids into the library.

I do think the younger patrons come to the library just for the games, but in the process, are drawn to other offerings the library has for them. I think we have to look past any initial prejudice we have about gaming and realize this is a way for kids to socialize while playing Wii. It has been said that Wii increases mental agility, relieves stress and gives you a dose of healthy exercise.

One article said even a huge number of baby boomers are turning to video games to help the body and the minds. An occupational therapist said playing with Wii could help build body strength, balance, endurance and coordination.

Maybe we should have Senior Citizen Wii day at the library. I know at our branch, some of the staff would like to have a Staff Wii day.

No comments: